At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and impact. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace for people empowered to make a difference in the lives of students. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. With a newly launched brand and ongoing celebrations marking 100 years of educating skilled workers, now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place…SAIT.
SAIT supports student success and the advancement of knowledge through the department of Learner Services. From application to graduation, Learner Services provides resources and services designed to help students reach their full academic potential and foster lifelong learning. Through a diverse range of cultural, social, and on-campus activities, Learner Services offers students the opportunity to create memories that will last a lifetime.
Student Development and Counselling Services works within the Learner and Academic Services division and provides a wide range of shorter term individual counselling for SAIT students as well as career counselling for prospective students and the public. The counsellor will provide individual counselling and group workshops to students, crisis intervention and response, consultation on mental health issues, coordination of student outreach events and make referrals to community resources.
We are seeking a full time permanent Educational Counsellor.
Note: There may be a second defined term full time position depending on funding. Please indicate in your cover letter of you are interested in in this type of work as well.
Open until suitable candidate found. Review of applications and selection for interviews will begin January 7, 2019.
- Provides personal, academic, career and crisis counselling to SAIT students.
- Conducts risk assessment and crisis intervention and referral, on an as-needed basis, as part of SAIT’s professional team.
- Counsels prospective students, through a directed career planning process.
- Designs and delivers psycho-educational workshops, presentations, and outreach programs that enhance student success.
- Provides advisement and direction for SAIT faculty and staff on student issues involving psychological or mental health difficulties.
- Liaises with faculties, departments and other student services regarding the provision of programs and services that enhance student success.
- Assists with critical incident support for the campus.
- Provides assessment and referral within SAIT and to community resources as appropriate and performs other related duties as required.
- Minimum Master’s degree in Educational Psychology or a related field with additional career or learning development training or experience.
- Registered or eligible to register as a Psychologist in the province of Alberta or equivalent designation.
- Two to Five years of experience in post-secondary counseling or related experience working with adults from a wide range of ages and variety of issues
- Experience in crisis intervention a requirement
- Strong therapeutic skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as oral and written communication skills
- Strong psycho-educational presentation skills
- Strong computer competency skills
- Significant understanding of the developmental needs and counselling concerns presented by a diverse post-secondary population
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, and changing environment is essential
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions quickly with minimum supervision
- Proactive approach, flexible and positive attitude
- Ability to work well within a team and in a larger inter-disciplinary organization
- Excellent organizational skills and strong initiative
Why Work at SAIT
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including:
comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre,
transit subsidies and more.
Why Work at SAIT
Please continue with the online application process by clicking the Apply Now button
All applications should be made through our online system.
SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants.
SAFA: This position is part of the SAFA (SAIT’s Faculty Association)
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, all applicants to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed. Employment is conditional until a satisfactory police security clearance is obtained and confirmed. Employment with SAIT will not commence until the results have been provided and confirmed.
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education.
Job ID: req377
Job Location: Main Campus, Calgary, Alberta
Job Classification: Educational Counsellor I
Job Type: Permanent
Employee Group: SAFA
Position End Date:
Department: Learner & Academic Services
# of Positions: 1
Posting Closing Date: All applications must be received by: Open until suitable candidate found at 4:59PM MST / 5:59PM MDT.