Compensation and Classification Specialist
At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and results that count. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace empowering people to make a difference in the lives of students. Now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place … SAIT.
Employee Services provides strategic leadership in the areas of Human Resources, Total Compensation and Organizational Development. At the fundamental core of SAIT’s vision to be a global leader in applied education are people – SAIT employees transforming the lives of SAIT students. Like the SAIT campus, Employee Services is undergoing significant business transformation. We value innovation, teamwork, a strong work ethic and a positive attitude.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Compensation and Benefits, this position is responsible for the day to day management of compensation and classification administration at SAIT. This position will be required to respond to client inquiries, analyze/investigate a variety of information and make recommendations that align with SAIT’s policies and maintain internal equity. This position also ensures that routine (daily and annual) processes are completed as well as updated when necessary and that legislation and audit requirements are met. As a member of the Compensation, Benefits and Pension Team at SAIT this position may provide support to both the pension and benefits areas during high volume/critical times and projects.
Compensation and Classification
- Provides front line compensation and classification management for day-to-day activities, such as job evaluations, compensation reviews, collection and analysis of data and the creation of reports.
- Provides and tracks classification and compensation recommendations for both union and non-union positions taking into consideration industry best practices, SAIT policies, market drivers and internal equity.
- Run annual compensation processes such as; market surveys, Pay for Performance, Salary Disclosure etc.
- Correct, maintain and recommend enhancements for existing compensation and classification practices where appropriate.
- Investigates a variety of compensation issues which are part of larger projects or on their own using logical deductive reasoning to resolve moderately complex issues.
- Strong understanding of Payroll/HRIS systems – navigating through screens, extracting data, writing report queries, identifying and foreseeing data issues/errors, and creating processes for sustainability and audit controls.
- Management of the Compensation & Classification inbox - ability to effectively communicate complex compensation and classification concepts to leaders and employees, while adhering to service delivery timelines.
- May Co-facilitate the Job Evaluation Committee and provides post Committee follow up.
- May provide project management support related to compensation and classification.
- Assist in the development and review of communications and presentation materials to promote education initiatives of SAIT’s Compensation and Classification system and processes. This includes facilitating employee and leader education sessions.
- Provide support to Pension and Benefits as required.
- Liaise and partner with outside agencies including market research and classification vendors.
- Ability to communicate effectively with employees and provide exceptional customer service – required to respond to queries in person, email or by phone.
- Participates in cross functional teams as required.
- Performs other related duties that may be delegated.
- University degree in Business, Human Resources, or related discipline required.
- Minimum 3-5 years of directly related experience.
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designation preferred.
- Experience working in a unionized environment preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills, for spreadsheet design and manipulation.
- Strong critical thinking to solve complex problems including data assimilation from multiple sources, e.g. market information, internal employee data, historical information and policy application in order to explain situations and develop logical defensible solutions.
Why Work at SAIT
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including:
comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre,
transit subsidies and more.
Why Work at SAIT
Please continue with the online application process by clicking the Apply Now button
All applications should be made through our online system.
SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants.
APT: This position is union exempt in our Administration, Professional and Technical group
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, all applicants to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed. Employment is conditional until a satisfactory police security clearance is obtained and confirmed. Employment with SAIT will not commence until the results have been provided and confirmed.
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education.
Job ID: req435
Job Location: Main Campus, Calgary, Alberta
Job Classification: HR Specialist
Job Type: Permanent
Employee Group: APT
Position End Date:
Department: Employee Services
# of Positions: 1
Posting Closing Date: All applications must be received by: February 24, 2019 at 4:59PM MST / 5:59PM MDT.