Pension and Benefits Specialist
At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and results that count. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace empowering people to make a difference in the lives of students. Now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place … SAIT.
Employee Services provides strategic leadership in the areas of Human Resources, Total Compensation and Organizational Development. At the fundamental core of SAIT’s vision to be a global leader in applied education are people – SAIT employees transforming the lives of SAIT students. Like the SAIT campus, Employee Services is undergoing significant business transformation. We value innovation, teamwork, a strong work ethic and a positive attitude.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Compensation and Benefits, this position is responsible for the day to day management of the pension, benefits, group savings and supplemental executive plans administrated at SAIT. This position will be required to respond to client inquiries, analyze/investigate a variety of information, make recommendations that align with SAIT’s policies and ensure SAIT is being compliant with pension and benefit legislation. This position also ensures that routine (daily and annual) processes are completed as well as updated when necessary and that legislation and audit requirements are met. As a member of the Compensation, Benefits and Pension Team at SAIT this position may also provide support to the compensation area during high volume/critical times and projects.
Note: This is a one year temporary salaried position
Pension & Benefits Administration
- Responsible for reporting annual pension year-end and day-to-day administration such as; new hires, terminations, retirements, deceased, buyback’s, pension adjustments, AIR’s, Form 21, monthly/biweekly reconciliation and audit of pension contributions, support pension audit requirements.
- Accountable for ensuring the administration of pension programs (defined benefit, defined contribution), group savings programs (TFSA, RRSP), and Supplemental Executive plans are managed and delivered in compliance with pension plan texts, CRA, pension legislation, and SAIT policies.
- Ownership of data and financial reconciliations – auditing pension, benefits, payroll and vendor systems to ensure the accuracy of data, interface files and payment calculations are correctly reported to both vendors and SAIT’s Finance Department.
- Required to maintain and review employee HR personnel files for current and historical pension and benefit records, calculations and correspondence.
- Strong understanding of Payroll/HRIS/Pension & Benefit systems – navigating through screens, extracting data, writing report queries, identifying and foreseeing data issues/errors, and creating processes for sustainability and audit controls.
- Correct, maintain and recommend enhancements for existing pension and benefits best practices where appropriate.
- Investigates a variety of pension and benefit issues which are part of larger projects or on their own using logical deductive reasoning to resolve moderately complex issues.
- Assist in the development and review of communications and presentation materials to promote education initiatives of SAIT’s Pension & Benefits programs through SAITNOW. This includes facilitating employee education sessions and presenting at new hire orientations as a representative of Employee Services.
- Assist in the preparation of Pension Committee meetings – preparing briefing papers, agendas, motions, supporting documentation, meeting minutes and execution of motions.
- Accountable for ensuring the administration of SAIT’s benefits programs (extended health care, dental, spending accounts, LTD, life, AD&D, WCB, international insurance and other policies) and collaborating with Ability Management team.
- Responsible for managing benefits renewals and day-to-day administration including maintaining employee benefits records, applying changes, enrolments, and renewals and verification and analysis of coverage (annual projects, census data, spending accounts, overage dependents, annual benefits statements, rate changes, insurance policy renewals, and review of SAIT programs and Policies and Procedures).
- Management of the employee benefits inbox - ability to effectively communicate complex pension and benefit concepts to leaders and employees, while adhering to service delivery timelines.
- May provide project management support related to pension and benefits.
- Provides support to compensation initiatives as required.
- Manage vendors, contractors, consultants and clients outside of the organization to ensure service delivery is effective and adhering to company contracts and policies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with employees and provide exceptional customer service – required to meet daily with employees and answer questions on pension and benefits queries in person, email or by phone. May be required to deal with uncomfortable and sensitive situations as they arise.
- Participates in cross functional teams as required
- Performs other related duties that may be delegated
- University degree in Business, Human Resources, Finance/Mathematics, Actuarial Science or related discipline required.
- Minimum 3-5 years of directly related experience with pension and benefits administration and or consulting.
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS) designation or equivalent preferred.
- Experience working in a unionized environment preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills, for spreadsheet design and manipulation (pivot tables, vlookup, index/match, data tables).
- Strong critical and analytical thinking to solve complex problems including data assimilation from multiple sources, e.g. vendor databases, internal employee data, historical information and policy application in order to explain situations and develop logical defensible solutions.
- Certified Commissioner of Oaths required or obtained within 3 months of hire.
Why Work at SAIT
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including:
comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre,
transit subsidies and more.
Why Work at SAIT
Please continue with the online application process by clicking the Apply Now button
All applications should be made through our online system.
SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants.
APT: This position is union exempt in our Administration, Professional and Technical group
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, all applicants to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed. Employment is conditional until a satisfactory police security clearance is obtained and confirmed. Employment with SAIT will not commence until the results have been provided and confirmed.
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education.
Job ID: req437
Job Location: Main Campus, Calgary, Alberta
Job Classification: Pension and Benefits Specialist
Job Type: Temporary
Employee Group: APT
Position End Date:
Department: Employee Services
# of Positions: 1
Posting Closing Date: All applications must be received by: February 24, 2019 at 4:59PM MST / 5:59PM MDT.